Wednesday, March 4, 2009

And the beat goes on . . . !

Every night before going to sleep thoughts keep whirring in my head at what seems like thousand miles per hour. One thought leads to another and so on and so forth. Totally drives me nuts because it means I am in bed for at least 4 hours before I get to sleep. I know many people face this but it has gotten to the point where I've had enough or more than enough!

I decided to roughly see how fast thoughts were going in my head and so I started counting. Instead of the usual 2 per second 1..2.. it was going at 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10 a second at the least. Not only that but I realised as I was counting my feet were tapping to some mysterious tune as well. I stopped counting as soon as this happened and realised the song that was in my head was the song, "Beat Goes On" and in particular the line, "Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain". The only difference was that the line going through my head was "Thoughts keep pounding a rhythm to the brain".

My brain was now sending me songs telling me what exactly was happening. Aaaaargh! It just became far too much. How on earth is a person meant to sleep when her brain itself is telling her that the thoughts are pounding a rhythm to the brain and keeping it awake? LOL! My brain, body and soul want some sleep. So the question really is where are these thoughts from and how dare they control me? LOL!

4 comments:

Compassion Unlimitted said...

Hi,
The trick is not allowing yourself to dwel on the thoughts,but just allowing it to drift in & drift out..just as a gentle breeze.If you dwel on them ,then sleep gets lost since your brain & mind gets activated to the pros & cons analysis...easier said than done
Now to make you jealous,by the time I count 10, I am in deep sleep
TC
CU

PreethZzZ said...

CU: Wow count to 10 that is totally amazing. I virtually reach a million before realising I should give up the count. Yeah I know I try not to concentrate but it is a force that mysteriously takes over.

Ram said...

It is insane...I have had exactly the same problem and tried EXACTLY the same remedy. Never worked! My brain used to be forever awake too :(
I think it comes from worrying too much and future scenarios keep playing in my mind....
I can't point my finger at a solution, eventually you will reach a point when you stop worrying and then you will sleep.

Anonymous said...

just read some bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbooooorrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnngggggggggg book and see how sleep will take over completely!