Thursday, August 23, 2007

Western Culture

The culture of westerners is very casual.

At work the boss and a colleague of mine were having a discussion about the name of a customer. The question was what was the name of the lady that called relating to so and so company. They struck a bet.

My female colleague was very sure that her name was Mrs X. My boss was very convinced that her name was Mrs Y. Being an obedient employee to the boss, my colleague called up and asked for Mrs Y. Then found out that it was as she had thought actually Mrs X. Then she said sorry and hung up.

The boss and my colleague were laughing and the most shocking part of all. My colleague said to our boss, "You doofus, I told you I was right". He just laughed it off and said sorry! While I sat at my desk laughing, yet totally surprised!

8 comments:

Lavanya said...

thats one very sweet boss. :)

praveen said...

here in india, ppl dont even call their boss by his/her name....always call them by sir/madam........

vimal said...

Hey Buddy...Lets wait till the appraisal time ;)

just kidding...ya I agree, managers here are little more fun than in India.

PreethZzZ said...

lavanya: hahaha yeh... he used to be totally not cool.. and him having a gf changed all tht... lol... westerners! hahaha

praveen: yeh i knw... one of my co workers says sir... as a mockery! LOL!

vimal: hahaha... i'm pretty sure alls good... my co worker who said it has been there for a while now... so i guess she only said it knowing she was safe! LOL!

Speech is Golden said...

had a laugh. isn't it surprising that though we keep talking abt "being there" with the rest of the world, we still have to sir our bosses and get up from our chairs when they come.

btw, thnx for visiting me. its been a long time.

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey long time since u said u will come..... and also long time since u have posted i guess :)

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

as for the comments by praveen and speech is golden..... well i dont know how it is in their offices.... i do accept it is that kind of way in government offices.... but in IT sector in particular, no one is allowed to call the bosses Sir etc., they shud address him by his name.... :)

PreethZzZ said...

speech is golden: glad i cld find more of my fellow old time bloggers! :) Your comment is too true... But I guess its the idea of respect that we still want to uphold.

rsubras: yeps been totally busy! oh wow thts something new... didnt knw it was the case esp in India!!! Well you learn something new every day!