Thursday, August 16, 2007

Dummies Guide to Unwatering the Mobile

Seeing as how I wrote about dropping my mobile phone I thought I'd write about how to save it! [afterall I was able to save it very successfully once! ;)] A few pointers below, in order of the time each action should be carried out! Red being the initial actions (not necessary to do) & blue being the actions that must occur if those in red occur.
  • Buy the phone --> make sure there is some sort of insurance on it (some times it will be included in the home and contents insurance)
  • Use the phone--> Highly important to keep backing up the phone contents as frequently as possible, to save a lot of hastle in the future in case anything unfortunate happened to it.
  • Drop the phone in water -->
    • Get it out immediately (don't just look at it and stare and wonder whether it will float away (as I did on the second occasion.. LOL!)
    • Open it up and separate whatever you can as much as you can (remove battery, Sim, memory card etc etc..)
    • As soon as you have access to a hair dryer and a power outlet make sure you lie the parts of the phone on a flat surface (no dirt or WATER!!!), with a newspaper on the flat surface.
    • Turn on the hair dryer and dry the phone, on a medium setting (too hot will melt it (almost did that too ;) )
    • Dry with hair dryer for 5 minutes at a time letting it cool down a little for 2 minutes in between.
    • Repeat this as many times as possible (or until there appears to be no more water, usually the screen will fog if there is still water. Its a good indication)
    • Once this has been done leave the phone to dry under natural sources (sunlight works miracles)
    • Leave the phone to dry for a minimum of 1 and a half days and DO NOT SWITCH ON until this one and a half days is up.
    • [optional] i read somewhere that its a good idea to put the phone in the middle of rice (Indians use rice for everything! ;-) ) The idea behind this is that it will soak up any excess water. But I would be careful and only use this as a last resort as any small particles can also enter the phone.
So there you go the survival guide to "unwatering" your phone! If anyone unfortunately drops there phone into water and uses these tips, be sure to let me know how they worked for you. The reason I was unable to recover my phone the second time was because I was too late getting the hair dryer on it. It was a matter of life and death a few minutes earlier and I could have still saved my phone! ***sigh*** Also another tip which I forgot to mention, the phone may partially work even afterwards, so if you have a cable which connects to your computer restore all the data. I did it and that will save me a lot of hastle once I get my new phone.

My old phone was a nokia 6280 (those are the ones with a sliding cover, which means they are very difficult to fully take apart).

13 comments:

Lavanya said...

so what phone are you getting now?
:D

PreethZzZ said...

the nokia 6288... ;) lol... just one step up! thts only cos we're claiming insurance... and thts the closest model arnd to my old one!

Jeevan said...

The info on dipped phone is a nice try. You phone is to be strong even work after the first attempt ;)

Some months back my bro jumped into the well with his cell phone in pocket at a relative village. He serviced with few hundreds, but no use, to buy a new phone.

Unknown said...

Oh that was rather nice tips. I will immediately drop my phone into water and follow your "tips" and see if it works. :D

PreethZzZ said...

jeevan: thx... oh god hmm yeh tht realli wld have stuffed up the phone... yep my phone was good while it lasted! :)

karthik: hahahaaha.. now thts dedication for u... bet ur a good student! LOL! if u ever "happen" to do it and use the tips make sure u surely let me know!

Subramanian Ramachandran said...

hey thought this one will be a funny post...... oops u were so seriously giving instructions :) coool anyway

but remember u missed a disclaimer...u shud have said..that all these works only with a Nokia model. For any other models, when it gets into water, just pray for it for 3 seconds and go to shop to get one more :p

hey it is a foul..as part of etiquette, u shud have visited my blog :D... just kidding..when u find time visit one of these blogs i am part of

http://rsubras.blogspot.com
http://sukhinobhavanthu.blogspot.com

vimal said...

Don't you guys have this thingy called "WARRANTY" ???

PreethZzZ said...

rsubras: well was goin to make it funny... but then i thot... i knw the plight of losing a mobile... dont want the others to go thru the same... as vivek said in the movie run, "thanni la gandaam"...
abt the disclaimer: thts not true.. it works easier for other mobiles... trust me i wld knw! ;)
will visit ur blog!! sorry been totally busy not been able to blog surf!

vimal: warranty only stands for software damage and not for physical damage! atleast here anyway... dont knw how it is for u peeps in US! and also i just got out of the warranty period by 2.5 months! :S

vimal said...

well my notebook works even after spilling beer on the key pad :)

PreethZzZ said...

paaa enna oru super notebook adhu! :P I guess it guess the attributes from its owner... It needs beer to function properly! LOL! :P

PreethZzZ said...

paaa enna oru super notebook adhu! :P I guess it guess the attributes from its owner... It needs beer to function properly! LOL! :P

vimal said...

Ya, after that incident, the performance of my notebook has increased.

I hope the Feds don't impound my notebook saying its using 'performance enhancing' drugs

LOL - Laugh Out Loud right ;)

Shanks_P said...

Preethzz ji ....Any idea what happens to a phone which was dropped to steaming sambhar ....?it happened to my phone while i was trying to focus and capture a pretty face on the next table on my 'so called camera phone in which hardly anything is visile, as it has a vga camera .....
But Nokia rules ...It worked, but I had to order another plate of hot steaming sambhar ......

Also i had soaked that phone for a night as i forgot it on the balcony on a cold rainy day in bnglre ...still it works ....:D

My follow up was partially the tips u have mentioned here ..but no hair drier :)

happy mobiling buddy ..... :D