Friday, November 23, 2007

MEGA"Serial" Killing

Offlate I have been watching the tamil MEGA serials. Oh god its torture watching them but you cannot help but watch it day after day especially when there is nothing else to do! Also the stupid hooks they put catch you and make you wonder what is going to happen the next day.

The serials are soo predictable, yet keep you hooked and have mass appeal! This led to one of my family members being inspired to write a serial. In the brain storming session they analysed the important aspects of a serial. They are as follows:


  • A senti name or a relative name : e.g Chithi
  • A villi & a gang (usually a family member who is the villian)
  • Lots and lots of family problems
  • Someone with two wives or a mismatch of wives
  • Police
  • People with the craziest expressions looking at or away from the camera
  • Family element
  • Sentiment
  • Revenge
  • Suspense
  • Inustice (especially within a household)
  • Quirks, quotes and catch phrases
  • Comedian
  • Servants who talk more than their employees

The list goes on and on! I sat thinking about writing a complete list but even thinking about it made me tired! LOL! So I shall leave you with this list to further expand on if you wish and please do leave your comments about your serial watching experiences.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
-Albert Einstein

You do it well.

Vinesh said...

what about the 15 minute recap of previous episode in a 20 minute (minus ads) episode? :-)

Prash said...

agree totally :P

PreethZzZ said...

Anonymous: Hmmmmm I wonder who this is who I am thinking it is...

Vinesh: Hahaha you know I thought about it.. But these days they don't really do it. So I thought I would give them a fair chance!

Prash: :-)

vimal said...

I watch kolangal and arasi. I record and watch the next day skipping all ads and sentiment scenes. 1 hour program, I finish in like 10 minutes.

How to drag a mega serial?

Never hire an editor. Show whatever you shoot.

PreethZzZ said...

LOL! You know these days its the title songs that take up all the time. Also all the serial "stars" want to dance especially with all the dance shows Jodi No1, Mastana Mastana, Manaada Mayiladaa etc etc..